Monolingual (American English) dictionary for teenage and adult students
Jayme Adelson-Goldstein &Norma Shapiro
Content is organized within 12 thematic units, from Everyday Language, to People, to Housing, to Food, to Recreation. Each unit starts with an 'Intro' page (new for this edition) and ends with a story page, with single or double-page sub-topics introducing new words in a realistic visual context and easy-to-learn 'chunks'. The target new vocabulary is listed, and simple practice activities help students to put their new words into practice. Story pages include pre-reading questions to build previewing and predicting skills, and post-reading questions and role-play activities to support critical thinking and to encourage students to use the new language they have learned. Rich visual contexts recycle words from the unit. This structure is designed to address the needs of multilevel classrooms, with much more guidance on this and on assessing needs and lesson-planning given in the supporting components.
4, words and phrases are organized thematically within 163 topics. Realistic illustrations and exercises are designed to build vocabulary and critical thinking skills. 13 bilingual editions available.
- Vibrant new artwork brings the visual appeal right up to date
- Colour coding and icons make navigation through OPD easy
- 4 new topics, 12 intro pages (to the units) and 12 story pages
- An updated thematic word list reflects real-life English today
- Sub-topics organize words into logical groupings, with easy-to-learn 'chunks'
- The suite of resources now includes a dedicated Reading Library and interactive CD-ROM